Learn about the various bugs out there and what drugs are used to shoot 'em down! If there is a something you'd like us to write about shoot us an email.
Topics are arranged alphabetically
- Borrelia burgdorferi (Lyme disease) - Ticks suck! Lyme disease sucks even more! And is caused by the bacterium borrelia burgdorferi, which is carried by ticks! It is endemic in many areas of the northeastern United States. It can cause a whole bunch of different symptoms.
- Enterobius vermicularis (Pinworm) - You wonder why kids pick their butts? Well some of them are infected with pinworm, also known as enterobius vermicularis. This pesky little helminth (ie: worm) is annoying, but easily treatable.
- Giardia Lamblia - You better hope a bathroom is nearby if you get infected with this nasty parasite! Causing explosive diarrhea this bug is found in fresh water streams throughout the world. Think twice before drinking from the pond or stream while camping...
- Influenza virus - The influenza virus makes you feel like crap, and it has also been associated with some of the worst pandemics in history! Learn why it is nearly impossible to develop immunity to this devilishly tricky virus.
- Community acquired pneumonia is the pits for anyone unfortunate enough to contract it! It is a serious cause of morbidity and mortality, especially amongst those with other medical illnesses. Learn about the common "bugs" that cause it, as well as how it is diagnosed and treated.
- Pyogenic liver abscess - Liver abscesses are some of the most common intra-abdominal infections. Learn about them here.
- Tuberculosis meningitis - Learn about what happens when this nasty mycobacterium makes it into the central nervous system!