Aches and pains oh my! Learn about all those common sports related injuries, as well as other diseases that affect the musculoskeletal system. If there is a something you'd like us to write about shoot us an email.
Topics are arranged alphabetically
- Atlas fractures - Atlas fractures come in all shapes and sizes. Learn about the mechanism, classification, and treatment options.
- Boxer's fracture - Ouch! A broken metacarpal! Bet you wished you never punched that wall in anger! Learn about what a boxer's fracture is and how to fix it.
- Burst fractures of the thoracolumbar spine - Shattered vertebral body! That really sucks... Learn about what a burst fracture is here.
- Cervical stenosis - Stenosis is an abnormal narrowing of the spinal canal. It can cause compression of the spinal cord, which leads to a constellatin of signs and symptoms known as myelopathy. And that friends is a drag bummer!
- Dislocated facet joints - What's the difference between a dislocated facet, a jumped facet, and a locked facet? Absolutely nothing! They all represent a dislocation of the joint between vertebrae. Learn about them here.
- Gout - If you've ever had gout you know how much of a pain in the you know what it can be! This article discusses what gout is and what can be done to keep it at bay...
- Hangman's fractures - Yikes! The noose is back... Learn what causes, and why these fractures are called "hangman's" fractures.
- Odontoid fractures - Damn! I knew I should have buckled my seat belt, or help I've fallen and I can't get up... Learn about the three types of odontoid fractures, what causes them, and how they are treated.
- Os odontoideum - Is part of your spine missing? Well it is if you have os odontoideum! Learn what this term means, what symptoms it can cause, and what can be done to fix it.
- Ossified posterior longitudinal ligament - My ligaments done turned to bone and now its pushing on my spinal cord gosh darn it!
- Spondylolisthesis - What happens when one vertebrae slips over another? Spondylolithesis thats what! Learn about the pathologies, grading system, and treatment of this relatively common problem.
- Spondylolysis - Defects in the bony pars interarticularis can cause this common condition. Not sure what a pars interarticularis is? That's why we wrote the article!
- Three column model - This page talks about Francis Denis' famous three column model of the spine and its clinical implications.