How does the heart work? the lungs? the kidneys? thyroid? parathyroids? You get the point... Physiology is complicated, but is very rewarding to master (or more like get a "decent" understanding of). Learn about numerous physiology topics here. If there is a something you'd like us to write about shoot us an email.
Topics are arranged alphabetically
- Cardiac output - Learn what controls cardiac output, or how much blood the heart pumps per minute, and why it can be devastating when cardiac output fails.
- Calcium physiology - Calcium physiology is actually quite complex, and requires an intricate balance between the gut, kidneys, thyroid, and parathyroid glands. Learn about how calcium is processed by the human body.
- Monro-Kellie doctrine - Within the confines of the skull exist blood, cerebrospinal fluid, and brain. This is the basis of the doctrine, which has vital implications for intracranial pressure. Learn more about it here.
- Starling's equation - Starling was one bright dude when he discovered a mathematical way to determine fluid flow into and out of a capillary bed... Learn about it his famous equation here!
- Systemic vascular resistance - learn how the body controls the resistance and flow of blood around the body, and why vascular resistances are important in human diseases.