Most (assuming you're sane) would agree that breathing is a vital component of human life. And there are many ways that life likes to screw it up! From lung cancer to inadequate oxygenation, there are lots of areas where lung pathology can rear its ugly head. Learn about them here! If there is a something you'd like us to write about shoot us an email.
Topics are arranged alphabetically
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) - COPD is a relatively common problem, especially in long term cigarette smokers. Learn what COPD is, how it is diagnosed, and what the best treatment options are.
- Approach to the hypoxic patient - Patient's oxygen sat is in the crapper doc! What do you want to do about it? Acute hypoxia is a common occurrence in the hospital, and can be frightening to manage at first. But it need not be scary! Learn how to approach the patient who is having trouble oxygenating their body.I
- Intrapulmonary percussive ventilation - Beat those lung secretions like a drum! This machine certainly can... Learn about one method of breaking up pulmonary secretions and re-inflating collapsed alveoli.
- Understanding mechanical ventilation - Intimidated by the machine hooked up to that endotracheal tube? No need to be! Learn what mechanical ventilation is all about here.
- Community acquired pneumonia is the pits for anyone unfortunate enough to contract it! It is a serious cause of morbidity and mortality, especially amongst those with other medical illnesses. Learn about the common "bugs" that cause it, as well as how it is diagnosed and treated.
- Pneumothorax literally means "air in the thorax" and it occurs when air dissects between the parietal and visceral pleura. Learn what causes them and what to do about them.
- Pulmonary emboli - These are blood clots that break off and travel to the lung. Large pulmonary emboli can cause some serious problems. Learn about where they come from, how to diagnose them, and what to do about 'em.
- Respiratory acidosis - Acid base disorders like respiratory acidosis are commonly encountered in clinical practice. Learn what causes a respiratory acidosis and what to to about it.
- Respiratory alkalosis - The flip side to respiratory acidosis. Learn what causes a respiratory alkalosis and how to manage it.
- Small cell lung carcinoma - Small cell lung cancer is one tough tumor! Seen almost exclusively in long term smokers, this devastating cancer attacks quickly. Learn where it comes from and what is done to slow its progression.